Since 1973 doctors have used injectable muscle relaxers for muscular and nerve disorders such as squints, chronic eyelid twitch and muscle spasms such as those seen in cerebral palsy. More recently (since 1988) they have been used for cosmetic purposes.
Our Doctors at Laser Skin Care have many years experience in wrinkle relaxer treatment. We only use genuine branded relaxers, and all our stock is carefully managed to ensure your treatment is performed with the highest quality.
Because of their ability to relax muscles, these injectables are useful where overactivity of muscle groups cause unwanted skin lines such as:
Platysma Neck Bands
- Frown lines
- Forehead lines
- Crows feet
- Bunny or scrunchy lines on the nose
- Dimpling of the chin
- Upper lip lines
- Platysmal or neck bands
It may also be used to prolong the effects of dermal wrinkle fillers which would be "squeezed" out prematurely in areas such as:
- Marionette lines
- Chin creases
What is involved?
Tiny amounts are injected in and around the area. There is a stinging sensation with the procedure, which is very short lived. The procedure itself usually takes less than 10 minutes, and you can go straight back to work afterwards if needed.
Within a few days the effects start to become noticeable, although the peak of action may not occur for 1 to 2 weeks. Over a period of 3 to 4 months the effects gradually wear off and to continue the effect, repeat injections are required. Repeat injections over time may lead to longer intervals between treatments, but it is unlikely that it will ever be permanent.
Do wrinkle relaxer injections work for everyone?
No. Less than 2% of patients have pre-existing antibodies which renders the substance ineffective. Unfortunately there is no way of identifying this small group of people beforehand.
What are the risks?
General after effects:
- Bruising.This is temporary only
- Pain or headache. This passes quickly. Headache & migraine sufferers often report significant improvement in their condition after wrinkle relaxer treatment.
Upper face injections:
- Ptosis or weakness of the upper eyelid.This causes drooping of the eyelid and occurs in 1 to 2% of patients. This may last up to four weeks but is minimised by not lying down for 4 hours after treatment, and not massaging the area.
- Overuse in the forehead can result in 'heavy brows' or an excessively frozen look to the forehead.
- Double vision. This is very uncommon but will usually disappear within two weeks.
- "Bags" under the eye. May appear more prominent in susceptible persons.
- Neck weakness(where injected into platysmal bands)
- Difficulty with swallowing, whistling and speaking(around mouth)
- Asymmetrical smile(treatments around mouth)
This is not recommended for:
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women
- Patients with Multiple Sclerosis or Myasthenia gravis
Wrinkle relaxer treatment is also very valuable in the management of migraine and other headache conditions. Dr David Main is very experienced in this treatment. Please enquire if you are interested in more information. We would recommend a consultation with the doctor prior to this treatment.