General after effects:
- Bruising. This is temporary only.
- Pain or headache. This passes quickly.
Upper face injections:
- Ptosis or weakness of the upper eyelid.This causes drooping of the eyelid and occurs in less than 1% of patients. This may last up to four weeks but is minimised by not lying down for 4 hours after treatment, and not massaging the area.
- Overuse in the forehead can result in ‘heavy brows’ or an excessively frozen look to the forehead.
- ‘Peaky’ eyebrows – this can occur when the frown area is treated due to compensatory overactivity of the outer forehead muscles.
- Double vision related to treatment under the eye. This is very uncommon but will usually disappear within two weeks.
- “Bags” under the eye. May appear more prominent in susceptible persons.
- Neck weakness(where injected into platysmal bands)
- Difficulty with swallowing, whistling and speaking(around mouth)
- Asymmetrical smile(treatments around mouth)
Wrinkle relaxer injections are not recommended for:
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women
- Patients with Multiple Sclerosis or Myasthenia gravis
Find out more on the potential Risks and Effects of Wrinkle Relaxers and Fillers.