Thread Lift Procedure
Instantly lift, tighten and soften wrinkles
Achieve a tighter, fresher and more youthful look.
The Thread Lift is a treatment which has been praised as the non-surgical replacement for face lifts, avoiding long recovery times, excessive scarring and the use of incisions or sedation.
Thread lifts work by placing dissolvable threads under the skin using a fine needle, which elevates sagging tissue, and simultaneously increases collagen production, firming the skins appearance.
The treatment aims to obtain a volumisation, lifting and skin tightening in any area the sutures are placed. A local anaesthesia is required only at the entry and exit points of the sutures.
A Thread Lift is recommended for men and women who are trying to effectively combat the signs of ageing and who want to achieve natural results and it is suitable for all skin types.
Results are visible immediately and can include:
- Lifting and tightening to specific parts of the face
- Increasing of volume to saggy areas
- Restoration of shapeliness to the face gradually and naturally
- Collagen stimulation, resulting in more youthful-looking skin
- A sharp reduction in wrinkles and lines
- An overall smoother appearance
- Apply SPF30+ and avoid direct sunlight and tanning machines in order to prevent Post – Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH).
2. Gently wash the treated areas on the same day but do not rub or massage the face for 2 weeks.
3. Do not open your mouth too wide for 3-4 weeks (avoid dental treatment for 2 weeks if possible).
4. A stinging or “pulling” pain or discomfort is normal. Take paracetamol 500mg 1-2 tablets 6+ hourly as required. Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medication such as Nurofen, because inflammation is necessary to initiate the new collagen formation process. Nurofen and similar medication will suppress this process.
5. Avoid alcohol and anti-coagulant medicine (aspirin, unless prescribed for medical indications) for 7 days.
6. Avoid blood “thinning” vitamins C & E for 7 days.
7. Avoid temperature extremes such as saunas or very cold climates for 10 days.
8. Avoid physical exercise for 7 days post procedure.
9. Avoid having Radio Frequency (RF) or any heat producing device (laser, IPL, etc.) treatments of the thread treated areas for at least 10 weeks.
10. Anti-inflammatory medication may be taken after 7 days.
11. Patient must finish course of antibiotics if prescribed by your treating practitioner.
12. Stinging or “pulling” pain discomfort is normal; this will subside over a 2 week period.
13. A scratchy sensation is normal; this will subside over a 2 week period.
14. Stinging, pulling, scratchy sensations will all disappear by week 5.
15. Possible complications may include infection, swelling, bruising, foreign body reaction in epidermis (granuloma) and protrusion. Extremely rarely, temporary facial nerve fallout may occur due to local anaesthetic, swelling haematoma or pressure of the cannula or thread on the nerve.
Your practitioner must be informed immediately if facial nerve fallout is suspected and if your practitioner cannot be reached then go immediately to A&E.
16. Follow up examination 7 days later.
17. Follow up photography at 1 month post-treatment. Note: treatment of untreated areas may be initiated at any time.
18. End-point: follow-up appointment at 3 months post-treatment.
Immediately before and after treatment.
Thread Lift Results
The suture gently lifts and re-positions tissues that have fallen into the hands of gravity, resulting in a shapelier, younger looking face. Hollow cheeks are given a more full appearance, while sagginess is lifted and wrinkles are eased.
The lifting effect is immediate and discreet as it is the result of compressing and elevating tissue at the time of adjusting the suture.
The Threads naturally stimulate the body so that it produces its own collagen and results last up to 2-3 years.
Frequently Asked Questions
Thread lifts uses a special medical grade thread that is thinner than hair, made of protein. Research has confirmed it relaxes tendons and muscles, whilst a foreign body reaction improves the blood flow to the area stimulating neocollagenesis (the production of new collagen in the skin). It also stimulates elastin and hyaluronic acid, both substances are key to maintaining firm, youthful looking skin.
Threads have over a decade long safety track record in surgery and wound closure. They have also been used for about 6 years in orthopaedic surgery and cosmetic skin rejuvenation.
Local anaesthetic is used in the area, following which threads are introduced into the skin through a fine needle underneath the skin. The treatment results in an immediate improvement in the appearance of the skin and overall texture – becoming tighter and firmer as fine lines, wrinkles and skin laxity are reduced.
This is a very versatile treatment which can be used in any part of the face and neck to treat sagging brows, naso-labial lines, vertical and horizontal forehead wrinkles, drooping cheeks, marionette lines, sagging jawline, plus wrinkles and folds on the chin and neck.
Thread-lift treatments result in an instant and natural looking improvement in the appearance of the skin. A process of natural protein synthesis then begins after about 10-14 days. Over the subsequent weeks results will continue to improve, peaking at around 6 months and lasting for up 2 years as your own body produces collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid. The thread itself is completely biodegradable and dissolve within 15 months, after which new collagen has formed around the thread to continue to support results, maintaining a smooth and supple texture of the skin.Results from thread lifts are twofold: A: Minority (approximately 10% of final result): mechanical tightening effect. B: Majority (approximately 90% of final result): neo-collagenesis effect, continues for 12 months after insertion of the threads.Combined effects generally tend to last up to 2-2.5 years.
• You have active acne/broken skin or are prone to cold sores. • You have taken anti-coagulation medications such as aspirin/warfarin/heparin or have consumed alcohol within 48 hours of the treatment (we advise you to continue taking prescribed medications but stop taking some complimentary supplements such as evening primrose oil, vitamin C and E garlic and ginko prior to treatment).Treatment is not suitable if: • You are pregnant or breastfeeding. • You have an auto immune disease, diabetes or infection.
There is minimal downtime, usually 2-5 days of bruising and swelling and the specialised needles allow small areas to be tackled effectively. As there are no incisions, stitches are not required and scarring is unlikely.